My blog and its contents have moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nyricanvision.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

A Nuyorican's Musical Theme

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Censorship?




Ok, so this whole week we have spoken about Imus, his comments regarding the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team, his firing from CBS, his simulcast being cancelled by MSNBC,racism, rappers, etc. So now the liberal in me is weighing in again.

One of the reasons why I was in the fence regarding the whole issue was because although I felt that Imus should be fired for his actions, I also felt "Well, what about the First Amendment?" During this time, my company's yearly mandatory Code of Conduct course was due. I am glad that I had put it off until then. What I realized as I went through the course is that although we are all protected by the First Amendment, we are also striving for a world of diversity. If I utter a racist and/or sexist word or comment in my workplace, anyone can take me up to Human Resources and make charges against me. It does not have to be directed to them or even have anything to do with them. All that needs to happen is that they overhear it; that's all. My company has proven this in the past too. I personally know 3 people who have been fired based on racist comments that were considered inappropriate to the company's diversity policy. And let's face it, we have all made a racist comment about one another. Not one person cannot say they haven't.

So, "Was Imus' First Amendment Rights violated?" No. As an employee of a large corporation, Imus knew that his company had a diversity clause. And large corporations clearly state what actions can be taken should you violate their diversity clause. It may include suspension or possible termination. So as an employee of CBS Radio, his actions was dealt with a dismissal. Now does this mean this is the reason he was fired? Of course not. Let's face it, the reason why Imus was fired was because the big advertisers were pulling out and demanding his termination.

I have heard a lot of people talk this week about First Amendment Rights and how we are becoming a society of censorship. Everyone agrees that Imus was wrong. What we may not agree with is whether he should have been suspended versus fired. But to confuse his firing with censorship is like comparing apples with oranges. It's ridiculous, so please censor your stupid opinions while in my presence.


No comments: