My blog and its contents have moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nyricanvision.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

A Nuyorican's Musical Theme

Monday, November 06, 2006

A Monday in New York

Today as I am leaving for work, I hear in the news that my train line is down because of "police activity." Not one train but my entire line, the 2 and 3 trains. So I decided no problem, I know in advance I will walk to the "B" train. Unfortunately, many of my fellow New Yorkers thought the same thing too. So as I go into the station, I find a mob of people trying to get to work. After waiting 47 minutes to get into a squashed train, I get to hear that there are signal problems ahead. Of course, this announcement, which by the way I heard clearly (yeah, no muffled voice, go figure!) was said while we were in the tunnel; no chance of getting out. A trip that normally takes me about 45 minutes, took today 2 hours and 19 minutes.

And so while people were shoving each other and cursing at one another, I could not help but sing to myself (no, I did not sing out loud) "Native New Yorker." For weeks, the City has been romancing me, trying very hard to make me change my mind of leaving her. She was a seductress and I was wondering if maybe I should stay. Today's train experience did not change my mind. I did not go and say yeah this is why I want to leave. The truth is I love my city and all she offers. Sometimes she offers great excitement and love and sometimes she offers darkness and fear but that's what New York City is all about.

In less than 2 weeks, JK, who has decided he wants to move with me, and I will be going to Texas where we will visit my work offices in San Antonio and Austin. Chances are I will pick Austin. No matter how beautiful Austin is, Austin will never romance me like New York City. I guess I am just a native New Yorker at heart.


No comments: