My blog and its contents have moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nyricanvision.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

A Nuyorican's Musical Theme

Monday, November 06, 2006

NYC Marathon

Yesterday, like millions of New Yorkers, my friend JK and I were cheering those who participated in the ING New York City Marathon. It was a cool Fall day and a perfect day for a marathon.

What amazes me is not so much the professional athletes because they train all year for these events. Not to take anything away from them because it takes determination and perseverance to be a professional athlete. But what I really like to see is the common man, who has been training for months so that they can participate in this event.

While eating Sunday breakfast with my family I got to see runners in First Avenue. When I got home I got to see the runners going into Central Park. I could see the exhaustion on their faces but also the determination to carry on to the finish line. It's amazing that we humans have the uncanny ability to sustain pain and exhaustion and somehow draw up some inner strength that makes us go on.

Every year I have my own personal "marathon". Although I love my high heeled boots, I am extremely flat footed - no sign of an arch anywhere on my feet. So my personal marathon is the March of Dimes. Each year I go around and have people sponsor me and I always get new sponsors as well who don't feel I will make it. Once year, allow blisters and pain to take over my feet. Yet each year, after many socks changes and bandages later, I bring up this determination not to quit. All who know me know my feet are always and I mean always done, not a corn or abnormality will be allowed on my feet. So the March of Dimes is a torture. But somewhere near the half way mark I get into this zone. It's a zone that only sheer will, determination and darn stubborness exists. And each year I cross the finish line and for a week later I am suffering while collecting my money.

I saw this determination, this will to finish yesterday, in every common man whether his feet was what carried him or a wheelchair. And all I could do was cheer - loud and proud for my fellow man.

To all those who participated in the NYC Marathon whether you finished or not, I salute you.


No comments: