My blog and its contents have moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nyricanvision.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

A Nuyorican's Musical Theme

Friday, April 04, 2008

Which One Are You?

Yesterday evening, I attended my building owners' meeting with the tenants. Over the years, the building has dramatically declined. In the past, we were voted Best Building of the Block; unfortunately, I don't remember the year. But today, due to previous building management's neglect, the building is falling apart. We haven't had an elevator since November 2007; some apartments look like the New York's Public Sewer system; a rooftop leak issue and the building's security is non-existent.

The building recently was assigned a new property manager, a rather young man with a head on his shoulders and probably in need of a few customer services classes but nothing serious. As he was trying to explain the issues at hand, several tenants were just screaming at him, talking over each other and pretty much getting on my nerves. It seems that when these meetings take place, they are usually the loudest of the group. They never provide a solution or even an alternate method but are quick to complain. Now, please note that we, as tenants have the right to complain about the living conditions in this building; this is not the issue at all and please don't misunderstand the point that I am trying to make. They want building security provided due to our increasing drug trafficking problems but don't want their children questioned by the police to verify residency. Unfortunately, the good must come with the bad. One of the property managers that had been dealing with the building for over 10 years said it best, "You either assist in solving the issue and do something about it or live with it but don't complain." She was absolutely right, they complain but don't call the police. I have called the police numerous times, and know you can report an incident anonymously. I know this because I have done it. Of course, there's always someone new with the story about how the police "snitched" that it was them who reported the issue. I am always suspicious of this story. It reminds me of Elvis, Loch Ness Monster and Big Foot sightings - good story to tell but not very believable as you look at the storyteller. But I digress in the reason for this post.

A few tenants ask logical questions and looked to work with the building owners for a resolution to the issues. But the majority are complainers who love to hear themselves talk. As I looked at these complainers without resolution, I was unable to help myself and I passed judgment (something I definitely have to work on as a Christian). These are the same people who tend to owe rent (for whatever reason that is none of my business) and/or always feel like everybody is out to get them. Believe me, I have spoken to these people enough to know that even if there is nothing wrong they will complain about something anyway or if they really can't find anything to complain about, they just gossip about their fellow neighbors.

In this world, you may sometimes or most of the times fall under the one of the following: a complainer without resolutions, a complainer who tries to find a resolution, a do-nothinger, or a resolution provider.

Which one are you?



No comments: