My blog and its contents have moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nyricanvision.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

A Nuyorican's Musical Theme

Friday, March 14, 2008

Forty-One



Wow, today I am 41 years old! Just yesterday, I was 16 years old, really I was...LOL





Here's my take at being 41 versus when I was 16 and older, and yes I am one of those lists and quotes people so bear with me after all it is my birthday. :) These are just random thoughts and are not in any order of importance.
  • I am much wiser but not always smarter than when I was 16.
  • I still believe in the common good of people.
  • I have learned what the words "love", "patience" and "compassion" really mean.
  • I no longer think the world revolves around me.
  • I believe there is a time and place for everything.
  • I am less active than when I was 16 years old and it shows :)
  • I no longer care about my reputation more than I do about my character.
  • Having self-worth, a confidence of who I am and belief I can do anything I set my eyes and mind to is the same today as it was when I was 16. Although I really do know who I am today.
  • At 16, I had a written journal. Today, I have a digital one.
  • My singing still sounds like a tortured cat but I continue to sing out loud no matter where I am to Chaka Khan, Culture Club and Stephanie Mills songs.
  • As I was when I was 16, I love being at home more than "running the streets."
  • I have greying temples and don't care.
  • In 14 days, I will be laid off for the first time in my life. At 16, I never knew what having a career or a job was like.
  • My best friend at 16 is still my best friend today.
  • I still live in NYC but no longer think "Why would people want to live any place else?"
  • I have friends that have been my friends for 2 and 3 decades.
  • I have lived in 4 different states and 1 common wealth.
  • I still believe in love and the "one".
  • I have been in love twice in my life.
  • I know what it means to have your heart broken.
  • At 16, I had an IBM laptop that I had to use a disk to boot up. Today, I have a Dell laptop that boots up automatically.
  • I no longer consider myself a religious person but a spiritual one.
  • I still go to a church on Sundays just not a Roman Catholic one.
  • I have been a member of several religions - Catholic, Jehovah Witness, Buddhism, and Hinduism.
  • My belief in GOD perseveres.
  • People still think I am much younger than what I am and look shock when I say my age.
  • Younger men now call me ma'am instead of baby.
  • I continue to say "Puerto Rico and New York", when people ask me where am I from.
  • I no longer desire to live in Puerto Rico. At 16, I wanted to move back to Puerto Rico.
  • I still prefer to live in a warmer climate.
  • My curiosity of other cultures, food and way of life remains.
  • At 16, I was Puerto Rican not a Black woman. Today, I am a Black woman. My culture is Puerto Rican.
  • I can no longer write in Spanish but I can still read it.
  • I know how it feels to have sex.
  • I see my "girls" once a month as opposed to getting together every weekend.
  • I still love to eat sunflower seeds with milk (yuck!...I know that's what you are thinking.)
  • I now see my parents as human beings more than invincible mini-gods.
  • At 16, I was a volunteer at GMHC. At 41, I am a volunteer at GMHC and 3 other places as well.
  • Today, a 30 year old is young. At 16, a 30 year old was old.

After taking a look at this very short list since I can still write more but am sparing my readers, I just realized one thing... I am still me and I love myself at any age.





No comments: