My blog and its contents have moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nyricanvision.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

A Nuyorican's Musical Theme

Friday, March 07, 2008

Mid-Life Crisis?


So being a bit intoxicated today, I decided to share a few secrets. This post may or may not survive. You have been warned.

The truth is that I am tired of the rat race. I have been tired since 2000. Somehow my priorities changed. Being successful in Corporate America no longer appealed to me. I was very successful in the financial company I was working at in 2000. But I decided that I no longer wanted to manage the 40 people I was responsibile for nor did I want to become SVP. I was a VP at the time and my manager had told me a month before I quit that I was being promoted to SVP. What did I do? I left to become an underpaid consultant in my old company. I was a consultant for 5 years there. Underpaid and overworked. When I was hired, my salary was increased to almost 20% of the current salary. I decided to move to another group after considering heavily that I will finally happy. The truth is...I changed. I don't know when it happened but no longer did money or status appeal to me. I got older and friends and family became more important. I kept telling myself that I was just burnt out. The truth is my priorities just changed. I starting viewing Corporate America success as a deal with the devil. I continued to pump myself up but I couldn't. I kept this a secret from friends and family. After all, isn't the goal to achieve the American dream?

So next week I will turn 41. And after thinking deeply on the subject, the truth is I just want two rugrats, an old fashion home and a Volkswagon Bettle. So much for the American dream. Everyone I know expects me to bounce back from this pending layoff and land on my feet. The truth is I no longer want to work but need money in order to live. I really don't know what I want to do.

Am I going through a mid-life crisis?

Update: Someone read this post and wrote a post about it in their website: http://in-spiros.com/artofallowingmindset/?p=18. Check it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked the honest of your post. Its hard to find ourselves in a place where we have changed what we want, yet not quite sure what we want?? It was for me when I went through it. Your post inspired me when I was blogging this morning, I wrote about your post here http://www.artofallowingmindset.com/2008/03/midlife-crisis.html and some things that come up around the idea of midlife crisis or what it is...
The answer is in you and voicing it will let the answer come to you
Enjoy
BZ